raintemplates-t7

Who will produce oxygen if all the trees disappear?

The forest is called the lungs of the planet, but it only produces 20% of atmospheric oxygen. The other 80% produce microorganisms hidden from our attention under the water column - phytoplankton.



Phytoplankton are microscopic plants and bacteria that live on the surface of seas and oceans. They use photosynthesis to generate energy and release oxygen by the side.

The size of each microorganism is about 100 micrometers (0.001 meters). But thanks to this little thing there are trees, animals, humans and the whole planet!

Each year, 150 billion tons of oxygen are released into the atmosphere during photosynthesis. 30 of them are produced by plants, including trees, the remaining 120 by phytoplankton.

The oldest life on the planet


Cyanobacteria or blue-green algae are a type of phytoplankton. They are the oldest form of life known to mankind! Their age is estimated at 3.5 billion years.



The life we know was created by cyanobacteria. The oxygen they produce is used by everyone around them: animals, humans and even plants!

So if all the trees disappear tomorrow, life on the planet will not die out. Phytoplankton can take their niche and produce all the oxygen they need.

Post a Comment

0 Comments